Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Ship, My Soul, My Life


We have all heard many times a phrase from the poem Invictus in which the lovely poet, William Ernest Henley ends his masterpiece with the phrase, “I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.” I know that I could think of this phrase and apply it to so many situations in life. But after indulging in many biographical TV shows, I could think of only thing, success and failure.


In listening to people talk about their lives, what I found particularly interesting was the way that the most successful people have all failed at some point in their lives. I know some would argue that success and failure are objective and of course, I AGREE! How do you define success? How do you define failure? What if we never fail, can we ever have success?

All of our journeys are mostly defined by our successes and our failures with unfortunately not too much emphasis on everything in between. And interestingly enough, we never know when success and failure will happen for us. We make decisions of what we think will bring us success in the hopes that we don’t fail. Yet, we cannot predict the judges of those decisions. Then you have to think, should we let who we are and who we become be determined by other people’s judgments? I think not!


After thinking about this (and I know I will continue to think about this), I have come to the realization that it is true and will always be true that we can never be defined by other people’s determinations of what is deemed success and what is deemed a failure.

We decide our own success. We decide our own failures.
We are the masters of our own fates. We are the captains of our souls.


Until next time.
Find the Love. Live the Life. Love the Life you Live.


With Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment